Proposed Renovation and Remodel
The existing house is typical in terms of layout but unfortunately doesn’t work functionally as key spaces are not sized to facilitate modern life. As such, our thoughts for the dwelling evolved around the following concepts:
- To reorganise the spaces creating a family centred house for modern living;
- The transition between inside and outside for the main spaces is blurred with outdoor living promoted;
- Spaces arranged according to the sun path and natural body cycle;
- Efficient use of space but sense of space maximised through far-reaching vistas to the garden;
- Minimal tweaks to upstairs but to maximum effect.
The ground floor plan provides a partial reorganisation of the kitchen and dining spaces plus the conversion of the garage. The arrangement of the ground floor is semi-open plan with spacious kitchen, dining and homework spaces introduced. The garage has been converted to house the relocation of the utility as well as providing a flexible use room for TV, playroom, office, bedroom etc. Introduced into the ground floor is a direct access and vista to the garden. The first floor reorganises the master suite to provide a spacious light filled ensuite, storage and vanity area. The ‘garage’ roof is raised to create a spacious and light filled ensuite and the addition of a roof light provides ample light into the master bedroom.
The garden provides an outdoor sitting area with a second access door from the dining area added to open the house up to the garden. A hardstanding surface off the dining provides an area for outdoor sitting. To offset the conversion of the garage a low lying shed could be located along the northeast boundary.